There’s a time when we must assume that we are wrong – even when we are doing the right thing. At my last job, I realized that it was happening with me.
After Nubank, I began to work on a company that, in a way, was a bet in my career – most of the systems in this new company were written in C# (a language that I had never written a single line), there was a huge codebase without a single line of test, the systems did not run on the developer’s machines, and one of the reasons that I was interested in working with then was to organize this codebase, in Clojure, with microservices. Also, to coach the development team, so we would migrate away from monolithic systems to a better architecture, with tests, microservices, and multiple programming languages.
In other words, to apply what I learned at Nubank in this company.
It was a long journey, first to be able to make the code, at least partially, compile on my Linux machine (the default configuration of our development machines was Windows with Visual Studio). And no, there wasn’t simply a matter of swimming against the flow that made me want to work on Linux: it was simply because the mandatory configuration of our Windows workstations was a very slow machine with a very slow antivirus and monitoring systems (to see if anyone was installing pirate software). Also, we had no access to USB, could not download external software, and our antivirus sometimes identified our git blobs as “suspicious software”, effectively corrupting our code every
git commit. My machine booted in 10 minutes, and I had to wait another 20 for Visual Studio to be responding (and I’m not faking these numbers).
Then, the migration to Clojure. It wasn’t really that difficult to write the code. The problem was to publish it – the company did not want to use docker, nor containers, nor continuous integration/delivery. We migrated our code from TFS to Bitbucket to GitLab, then to a self hosted GitLab, then back to Bitbucket. Also, we had to fight – a lot – to be able to access our Q/A docker environment, as we had no access to production, staging, or homologation environments. We caught lots of bugs only in production, because we simply had no idea on how the calls for external APIs worked (there was not a single mocked/stubbed external system, and the very few external services that did offer sandboxed environments were so misconfigured that even API versions were different).
Then, after a long fight, more than a year later, we lost.